Property Insurance



For most, their home is their biggest investment.  SurNet understands this.  Our brokers will work with you to complete a customized insurance policy to ensure your greatest asset has the coverage it deserves.

There are many different types of home policies in the market place today.  A SurNet broker will work with you to find out which one is best for you.

Worried about water?  Many of SurNet’s valuable Insurer partners now offer Overland Water Coverage.  A SurNet broker will be able to discuss this exciting new coverage with you to give you the peace of mind you need.

Overland Water Coverage

Image result for flood clip artHaving a body of water near your home is often viewed as tranquil and serene, until it floods and is now IN your home.  Typically, this peril has not been covered by your homeowners policy.  But GOOD NEWS!  Many Canadian insurers have now come out with a new coverage that we can offer to our clients to provide even more peace of mind.

What is Overland Water:

Overland Water can best be described as the sudden and accidental flooding of a nearby body of water that enters your home by traveling overland.

Why Consider Overland Water Coverage?

Sewer Back Up Isn’t Enough

Sewer back up coverage only covers the damage from water coming in to your home from a sewer, septic system or sump pump.  If overland water enters your home, you will not be protected.

Premiums are Affordable

Overland water coverage is highly available and very affordable other than in highly prone to flooding areas.

It is Protection You Need

With a warmer and wetter climate, an aging storm water infrastructure and more extreme weather than ever…can you afford NOT to have overland water protection?


Tenant Insurance is often neglected and considered unnecessary, but this cannot be any further from the truth.  Unlike home insurance, tenants insurance does not cover the building as the tenant does not have an insurable interest in the building.  What it does offer coverage for is liability and contents.  A home owner and a renter can often have the same liability exposure and amount of contents…just one has to have insurance to satisfy their mortgage provider and the other doesn’t.

Contact a SurNet broker to make sure you are properly covered.


How the vacation property is used and how often it is occupied will dictate which insurance packages are appropriate for you.

The answers to these questions are important when you are considering what type of coverage to buy for your vacation property:

  • How much time do you spend there?
  • Do you use it year-round?
  • Do you rent it out at some point during the year?

Stand-alone or combined with your principle residence, at SurNet, we will work for you to find the right policy for your family’s vacation home.


Although boat insurance is not mandatory in Ontario, there are certain circumstances when it does becomes mandatory.  For example, if your boat is financed, the finance company will want confirmation that the boat is insured for the life of the loan.  Also, if you are mooring in a marina, the marina may require you to carry a certain amount of liability insurance.

By insuring your watercraft you are protecting your investment and your lifestyle against the financial hardship caused by the unexpected, whether damage to your own watercraft, the property of others, or physical injury. With the right type and amount of insurance on your watercraft, you can be protected from the risks that are inherent in everyday life.


Personal Property Commission Disclosure

As your Independent Insurance Broker, we purchase insurance products and services on your behalf that are available, affordable, and understandable.

Our role is to provide you with the best insurance value that combines coverage, service, and price. We also provide personalized, quality service that includes professional insurance advice, ongoing policy maintenance and claims support. When any issue arises regarding your insurance coverage, we are your advocates, using our professional experience to best represent your individual interest.

Brokerage compensation is part of your insurance premium. For your benefit, we have listed below Property Insurers that we represent and have included the range of compensation each provides as a percentage of your overall premium.

  • Aviva* – New Business 22%, Renewal 20%
  • Commonwell* – 20%
  • Dufferin Mutual* – 20%
  • Intact Insurance* – 20%
  • Optimum Insurance* – 20%
  • Perth Insurance* – 15%
  • Premier Marine – 15% – 17.5%
  • Travelers* – 20%

This commission percentage is paid annually for both new business and renewals.

Should there be an increase in the commission schedule we receive from your insurer, or, any other material change that affects compensation arrangements, we will notify you.

In order for us to maintain strong relationships with quality insurers, we work with each to provide the type of business they desire. The Insurers with an asterisk noted above recognize our efforts through a Contingent (Profit) Commission contract. Payment of this Contingent (Profit) Commission may depend on a combination of growth, profitability (loss ratio), volume, retention and increased services that we provide on behalf of the Insurer. Contingent (profit) Commission is not guaranteed. For detailed information on Contingent Commission, please go to the individual company’s website.

Your Insurer will be providing you with a Consumer Code of Rights and Responsibilities, which will be forwarded to you with your new business policy. If you have any questions regarding this or any other aspect of your insurance please contact us.